Monday, October 29, 2012

it's pumpkin time

We had a very festive weekend!  We started the weekend off with a trip to the pumpkin patch and finished it up with some pumpkin decorating.  I LOVE holidays, but I've been a little slow getting into the mood this halloween.  With Carson's birthday being 10/11, I think I was decorated/crafted out for the month.  I'm just getting around to decorating for fall and it's October 29th!  (We're going for the harvest theme this year so I can carry this through November.)

Worn out or not, I certainly couldn't let the month of October go by without pumpkin carving.  I grew up on a farm in Oregon so I don't expect much from the "farm" experiences in Southern California.  I must admit, Tanaka Farms in Irvine was pretty adorable.  We trudged through the fields of pumpkins, rode the tractor (many times), and visited the petting zoo.  The little guy definitely had a blast and the grown ups did too.  My only complaint was the weather - I can't fully get into the spirit of fall when it's 90 degrees outside.  I'm ready for some sweater weather!


We always make an evening out of pumpkin carving and this year the little guy got to join us.  I wanted him to have a little fun so he got to decorate his own pumpkins. 



 I made edible finger paint (a handy recipe from back in my Kindergarten teaching days - recipe below) since I knew some paint would end up in his mouth.




 Then I used sticker paper to create "pumpkin stickers".  

Here's the three boys having a blast!  Jake even helped out and ate some finger paint!



 The finished masterpieces

The whole family's October artwork.  We had all of 5 minutes to actually carve after all the painting, so these pumpkins won't win any creativity contests, but it's the thought that counts!


Edible (but not tasty) finger paint
1/2 cup constarch
3 Tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups cold water
food coloring

Mix all ingredients and cook over medium heat until it gets thick.  Let it cool, divide into separate containers and add food coloring.



No comments:

Post a Comment